Already a Member? Sign in here...
Help us tip the balance!
Despite the many reforms undertaken since the financial crisis, our financial system still does not serve society. The needs of the real economy and of society are secondary to a system dominated by derivatives, too-big-to-fail banks and financial speculation. Instead of reforming itself after the crisis, the financial industry has lobbied hard against change, giving reasons for policymakers to put the interests of financial firms ahead of society’s interests.
We need to change the balance between private and public interests, because this is the only way to make the financial system benefit the entire community.
This requires a much wider involvement of civil society, building on what has already been done (find out more in our Annual Report 2015).
A broad and diverse Membership helps Finance Watch to empower its Members and to make finance serve society. Join us!
Want to become a Member? Find out more here...
Finance Watch has more than 70 members from around a dozen different European countries.
Finance Watch membership comes in two types:
- Institutions (Member Organisations) – such as NGOs working for social justice, environment, fight against poverty etc.; consumer groups; trade unions; foundations; think tanks etc.
- Individuals – including established academics and journalists, and (former) professionals from the financial sector or the corporate sector with significant experience who are able to contribute to our mission and our network.
For 2015-2016, the membership fee is €80 for Individual Members and €1,000 for Member Organisations.
All Members must be independent from the financial industry and its lobby. Applications are assessed by Finance Watch’s Committee of Transparency and Independence to ensure that:
- candidates are free from conflicts of interest;
- candidates will not threaten the independence of Finance Watch in taking positions or producing expertise.
Once accepted, Members work actively with the Finance Watch Secretariat and with each other to achieve change. Members also play a crucial role in the governance of Finance Watch, where they determine the strategic goals and influence the annual work programme.
The Finance Watch Secretariat provides the following services to Members:
- Technical ammunition on financial practices and financial reforms at EU or national level.
- Intelligence and access to the EU financial regulation process, along with advice about how and when to influence it.
- A platform for sharing expertise and campaigning ideas on financial reforms with others in the Finance Watch network.
PROCEDURE FOR APPLICATION:
To apply for membership please send an email at with your CV and a motivation letter (max. 1 page), stating why you apply and how your expertise and skills would fit to Finance Watch's mission and vision.
You can also choose to support Finance Watch as a donor and as a Friend:
- Becoming a donor is a great way to show your support for our work and to strengthen our role as a citizens’ counter-lobby on finance. I want to become a donor!
- You can also become a Friend and join our mailing list for monthly email updates. Friendship is free and is an easy way to keep up to date with the battle to reform finance. I want to become a Friend!