We are seeking to recruit a senior professional with native or bilingual proficiency in English and an outstanding experience in copy editing research papers and various communication materials for expert and non-expert audiences and in generating high-quality media coverage. In-depth knowledge about financial regulation is indispensable.
- Establish the purpose and intended readership for the material to be edited and to ensure that the writing style is appropriate for the audience.
- Turn technical content into language that can easily be understood by the target audience, including but not limited to policymakers, journalists, and civil society organisations.
- Re-write, re-organize and monitor overall structure for logical flow and balance, if needed.
- Revise the material to take account of comments of reviewers and additional material supplied by the author.
- Review content for language accuracy, tone, and style ensuring that the text is concise/clear.
- Advise on the selection and effective use of tables, illustrations, text boxes, footnotes and annexes. Ensure that the presentation of similar data is consistent, check that any tables, figures and annexes are correctly cited in the text.
Writing and editing of communications materials
- Draft and edit a wide range of communications materials, including blogs, presentations, newsletters and pedagogical material.
- Create social media content (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn) based on our key reports, policy objectives and campaigns.
- Craft strong headlines, titles and subtitles, when appropriate.
- Participate in the creation of innovative visual assets such as infographics and cartoons, as well as storyboarding.
- In close cooperation with policy experts, draft, edit and deliver press releases and other relevant materials for national and international media.
- Write punchy opinion pieces.
- Be able to speak to journalists and stakeholders about Finance Watch’s work and activities.
- Be able to identify, develop and sell stories.
- Excellent knowledge of the European media landscape, especially for economic and financial news coverage. Direct relationships with key financial journalists are a plus.
- Maintain and proactively develop good relations with journalists working for European and national key media, maintain a database of journalists and monitor coverage.
- Ability to respond quickly and effectively to inquiries, cognizant of the 24/7 news cycle.
- Identify new trends and tools to increase effectiveness of the organisation’s media work.
Profile / Qualifications
- You are committed to Finance Watch’s mission.
- Outstanding editing, writing and oral skills in English are essential (native or bilingual proficiency).
- Over 8 years of experience in financial journalism or in a communications role for a European institution, international NGO or the financial industry.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in communication, finance, or another relevant field.
- Excellent ability to understand and edit research products about financial regulation and how finance can be a tool to address the pressing and linked economic, societal and environmental issues.
- Demonstrated expertise in communicating complex technical ideas to a non-technical audience, including plain language.
- Good judgement, political and general, to assess the most effective means of communicating information for the purpose of achieving communication goals.
- Demonstrates strategic thinking, creativity and innovation.
- Ability to listen and collaborate with a wide range of colleagues, members and partners.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and experience of working in a multinational/-cultural environment.
- Excellent computer skills, and familiarity with working in multimedia contexts.
- Ability to manage a substantial and varied workload effectively, including managing competing demands, maintain high levels of accuracy, and ensure excellent coordination of activities across diverse departments within the organisation.
- Results oriented and self-motivated.
- Strong team player.
Competitive. Dependent on professional background, seniority and work experience.
Equal employment opportunity:
Finance Watch is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees, regardless of sex, marital status, nationality, religion, age, sexual orientation and any other characteristics unrelated to the performance of the job.
Selection will be in accordance with objective, job-related criteria, and the appointment will be on the basis of applicants’ merits and abilities.
Interested candidates are invited to send a letter of motivation, CV and at least 3 writing samples via email by the closing date to: email@example.com
Please quote “Application for Senior Editorial & Press Officer Vacancy” in the title of your email.
New deadline for applications: 30 September 2020
We look forward to receiving your application.